The Rich Content Editor allows authors to easily format their text, insert tables and equations, and embed links and media. Features that support the Rich Content Editor include: Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes and the Syllabus.
This article will cover:
- Basics of the Rich Content Editor
- How to embed an image (of your own or using Unsplash)
- How to embed a GauchoCast or YouTube Video
More detailed information about the Rich Content Editor can be found here: Canvas Instructor Guides: Rich Content Editor
When creating new content or editing existing content (for example, when composing a new Announcement), the Rich Content Editor will display. The Rich Content Editor includes multiple menus that are grouped together:
These menus and tools include:
- Main Menu - Contains the same tools as found below in the tool bar but in a drop-down format. More information can be found here: How do I use the menubar in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- Tools to Format Text - Change the font size, style, emphasis, color, and highlighting. You can also add subscripts and superscripts. More information can be found here: How do I add and modify text in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- Tools to Insert Links & Media - Hyperlink to external content or other course pages or add documents, images, or video.
- Tools to Add External Tools - Embed videos from YouTube or GauchoCast and Embed Google Documents. More information can be found here: How do I embed media from an external source in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- More Options - Depending on the size of your browser, you may see additional options here including paragraph formatting, removing formatting, adding tables and adding math equations.
- Accessibility Checker - Checks the content to identify common accessibility issues. More information can be found here: How do I use the Accessibility Checker in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- Word Count - Displays the number of words in the content.
- HTML Code View - Switch to the code view to add or edit the HTML code directly. More information can be found here: How do I use the HTML view in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- Full Screen - Open the content editor in a full screen view for more space to create content. Click ESC to exit full screen view.
1. Open the content you wish to add the image to. From the Rich Content Editor toolbar, click the image icon. Then, click Upload Image:
2. Choose whether you want to upload from your Computer, Unsplash or a URL:
- Upload from a Computer: Drag and drop an image file to the image uploader or click to upload a file from your computer.
- Upload from Unsplash: For Search Term, enter a keyword. Select an image from the displayed options or use the links at the bottom to view more images.
- Upload from a URL: For File URL, enter the URL of the file
3. Once you have selected your image, scroll down to the Attributes section.
- Enter in an alternative text description (which can be read by screen readers) or mark that the image is decorative (and therefore does not need an alt text).
- Ensure the Display Options is set to "Embed Image"
4. When ready, click Submit. Your image will now appear. You can manage the alt text and adjust the image size through these steps here: How do I manage alt text and display options for images embedded in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
1. Open the content you wish to add the video. From the Rich Content Editor toolbar, click the YouTube icon or the GauchoCast icon.
2. If embedding from YouTube, enter the title of the YouTube video or search criteria and press Enter.
Click Embed next to the video you want to add to the page.
3. If embedding from GauchoCast, select the video you wish to embed. Select any embedded player preferences under Video Embed Options. Then, click Insert.
More information about the Canvas <> GauchoCast integration can be found here: GauchoCast in Canvas
4. Your video will now appear.