Canvas syncs with the Registrar system several times each day and Instructors of Record, TAs, and students are automatically added to course sites.
NOTE: If the person you are trying to add has never logged into Canvas before they will need to do so before they can be added to your course. They can log in at canvas.ucsb.edu.
Users with the "Teacher" role can manually add additional UCSB-affiliated users in the role of teacher, TA, designer, student, or observer. Users in the "TA" role can manually add users in the role of student or observer. Here's how:
1. If they have not already logged into Canvas, direct the UCSB-affiliated user to log in to Canvas using their UCSBnetID and password. This creates their account.
2. In the Canvas course site, click People in the left-side Course Navigation Menu
3. Click +People in the top right corner
4. Select Login ID and enter the user’s UCSB netID into the text box. If you are adding multiple users, separate them with a comma or line break. (typically UCSBnetIDs are the prefix of anyone's @ucsb.edu or @umail.ucsb.edu address, the best way to get a person's UCSBnetID is to ask them)
- Note: we do not recommend adding users by Email Address as people have multiple UCSB email addresses (for example @ucsb and @umail.ucsb.edu). They may have a different UCSB email address associated with their Canvas account.
- One can find the UCSBnetID for a faculty or staff member by using the “Find People” tab at https://www.im.ucsb.edu.
5. Choose the appropriate role, the appropriate section, and whether you wish for them to only interact with users in their section. Click Next.
6. On the following popup, confirm the enrollment looks correct. Then, click Add Users.
7. An invitation will be sent from Canvas to the user's email inviting them to the course. The user will need to accept the invitation in order to be added to the course.