Canvas uses two different left navigation menus to navigate through the system:
- Global Navigation Menu: Access, view and update information related to your Canvas account
- Course Navigation Menu: Access, view and update information related to a specific Canvas course
- Account: View and update your profile, notifications, and settings
- Dashboard: Shows an overview of your courses.
- Courses: Displays your published, unpublished, and favorite courses.
- Calendar: Shows upcoming assignments, events, or due dates related to your courses
- Inbox: Communicate with students through the Canvas messaging system
- History: Displays the past 3 weeks of page view history
- Commons: Search for shared resources across Canvas
- Help: Get help with Canvas through chat, voice, or email.
Content can be accessed by clicking on a link from the course navigation menu. For example, clicking on Assignments brings up a list of all course assessments (including assignments, quizzes, and discussions).
Content and Assignments can be added to Modules and will then be available through the Modules link from the course navigation menu. Instructors can add existing content/assignments or create new content/assignments by clicking on the "+" icon next to the module they wish to add it to.
Links to Content/Assignments can also be added to Canvas Pages as hyperlinks. This will direct students to the appropriate content/assignment when they click on the Page link. While editing a Page, click the "chain" icon the Rich Content Editor. Then, click Course links and choose the desired content/assignment to add the link.
If you are an Instructor or Teaching Assistant and would like a sandbox site in Canvas to build and test in please send a request asking for a sandbox to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training Course: You can join the Teach Training Course in UCSB Canvas by opening and logging to the following link and then click the option to "Enroll in Course": Teacher Training Course.
Guides: Canvas has many guides for using the various features within Canvas, these guides can be found here.
Training Videos & Thematic Trainings: Canvas training videos and thematic courses can be found here by logging in with your UCSBnetID and password.