At times, instructors may wish to copy the quiz question bank from one course to another so that they may use questions in anther course's quiz. Rather than copy the entire course, these steps allow the instructor to copy over only the question bank to the new course.
You will first export questions from the Question Bank you are interested in utilizing. Then, you can import those questions into your new site. Once questions have been imported into a new course site, they can be edited or deleted in the new course site without changing them in the original site.
Here's how to export questions from the Question bank you are interested in utilizing:
- Enter the course that contains the question bank you wish to copy. From the Administration block, click Question Bank > Export.
- Choose Moodle XML format and select the category you would like to copy from the "Export category” drop-down menu.
- Moodle XML format is the recommended export format as it enables the maximum amount of question data (such as question feedback) to be imported.
- To export all questions from the course, select the category "Top for [course name]"
- Click Export questions to file.
- Save the file to your desktop.
Here's how to import the questions into your new site:
- Enter the course you would like to import questions into. From the Administration block, click Question Bank > Import.
- Choose Moodle XML format as the File format. Under the General subsection, and select the desired category you wish to import the questions into from the drop-down menu.
- Again, Moodle XML format is the recommended import format.
- If your exported questions file contained categories, these categories will be created during the import process.
- Click Choose file... to open up the File Picker window. Select your exported Moodle questions file and click Upload this file.
- Click Import. You should see a preview of the imported questions. Click Continue to proceed to the category containing the imported questions.
Here are some common issues that can arise while exporting and importing the quiz question bank:
Category names will often reflect the year/quarter of the original site, but you can edit the name to reflect the current quarter. From the Question Bank > Category tab, click the gear icon next to the category you wish to update:
- Images are only included if you export the questions using Moodle XML format.
- To export individual questions (rather than entire categories), go to the Question Bank > Question tab. Under the Actions column for the question you wish to export, click Edit > Export as Moodle XML: