The information that students will be shown about a quiz is controlled by the quiz Review Options and can be adjusted by the Instructor. The default Review Options (if a close time for the quiz is set) are:
These settings allow students to review their attempt, see their scores, and see instructor feedback immediately after the attempt. For quizzes with higher stakes like midterm and final exams, this is often not ideal. If no close date/time is set, the After the quiz is closed settings are not available,
This article defines the Review options, shows how to update them, and provides recommended Review Options for common scenarios.
- During the attempt - While the student is taking the exam. Only available for quizzes set to immediate feedback.
- Immediately after the attempt: - Within two minutes of the student submitting their quiz.
- Later, while the quiz is still open - After two minutes of submitting the quiz but before the quiz close date and time.
- After the quiz is closed - Any date and time after the quiz closing time (set in Timing subsection). If there is no close/date time set, these check-boxes are not available.
What can be Controlled: Each of these settings can be configured for each of the above time-frames.
- The attempt - Shows the quiz question and how the student responded.
- Whether correct - Displays whether the students response to each question is correct or incorrect.
- Points - Total points earned for the quiz.
- Specific feedback - Feedback tailored to each possible response for a question (e.g., "This answer is incorrect because…"). This feedback is configured in the individual quiz question settings.
- General feedback - Feedback for a question independent of student responses (e.g., "This question addressed material covered in…"). This feedback is configured in the individual quiz question settings.
- Right answer - Shows the correct answer for each question for most question types.
- Overall feedback - Feedback provided to a student about their overall performance. This feedback is configured for the entire quiz and set in the Quiz Settings.
To update the Review Options for a quiz, follow these steps:
- On your course page, click on the Quiz you want to update.
- From the Quiz Administration block on the right, click Quiz Settings.
- Scroll to the Review Options subsection and update your selections.
- Click Save and display.
For high stakes exams such as Midterms and Finals, instructors often want to restrict the score and feedback until after the quiz closes.
- Be sure to set a time and date to close the quiz under the Timing subsection:
- In the Review options, uncheck all of the boxes under Immediately after the attempt and Later, while the quiz is still open.
- For After the quiz is closed, check all of the boxes that you would like students to have access to once the quiz is no longer accepting attempts:
For some exams, instructors may want to provide students with their quiz score but not allow them access to the quiz questions (even after the quiz closes).
- In the Review options, uncheck "The attempt" in Immediately after the attempt and Later, while the quiz is still open and After the quiz is closed.
- Check "Points" in the time frame you wish for students to see their score. Students will be able to see their total score but not the quiz questions.
For exams that contain essay question types, instructors may wish to ensure all manual grading is complete and that grades are reviewed before they release all quiz scores to students at one time..
- In the Review options, uncheck "Points" in Immediately after the attempt and Later, while the quiz is still open and After the quiz is closed.
- Once all of the manual grading is complete (and you are ready to release grades to the students), check "Points" for After the quiz is closed. Students may now see their scores (and any feedback options you have selected).