GauchoSpace is the learning management system for UCSB courses and projects, allowing instructors to create online sites for course materials and student activities.
GauchoCast is a video hosting website that processes and stores video media. GauchoCast videos are distributed to students enrolled in your course using GauchoSpace. GauchoCast has unlimited storage for videos with streaming and editing capabilities, is FERPA compliant, provides multiple privacy control settings, and allows users the option to embed quizzes and request captioning.
You will be Uploading the video of your Zoom session to GauchoCast and sharing it with your class through GauchoSpace.
Note that this video assumes that you have already provisioned your course GauchoCast folder through GauchoSpace. If not, follow this link to do so.
Before beginning this process it is important to note that California law requires you to inform your students before you record them.
- You can record just a portion of a meeting or the entire thing.
- Create your Zoom recording by pressing the RECORD button at the bottom of the Zoom window.
- When done recording either press the square STOP record button at the bottom of the screen or simply End the Meeting. Either way, the video file will be generated after the meeting has ended.
- On both Mac and PC: An activity window will pop up “Converting Meeting Recording” informing you that the session is being converted to a video format. When completed a window displays the files created from the meeting. This file folder is located within your Documents folder within a Zoom folder. Files are organized by session date. The file you want is the MP4.
- Navigate in a browser to your GauchoCast course folder at gauchocast.hosted.panopto.com. You may need to sign-in with your Net-Id and Password.
- At the top of the screen, find and click the green Create button. Select “Upload Media” to upload your recording.
- Drag the mp4 file from the open window in the last process or you can click the “Choose video or audio files” message on the screen and then you will have to navigate to the file in Documents/ Zoom/ and then the appropriate session folder. The result will end-up in your default “My Folder”
Once the MP4 is uploaded, you can rename, edit, or caption the file.
Remember that My Folder is a private folder. When ready to publish for your students to view you will need to move the file from My Folder to the appropriately provisioned course folder.
For help with renaming, editing, captioning, moving, and publishing your video files, please view the pertinent portions of our GauchoCast article series, available here.