Google Meet provides a basic, easy-to-use video conferencing tool that allows for synchronous video meetings with screen sharing that can be recorded and launches directly from the web browser. Note: Currently we generally recommend using Google Meet for instruction only in the event that Zoom is unavailable.
In order to create and share a Google Meet link with your students, follow these steps below.
Step One: Create a Google Meet event in Google Calendar
1. Log in to Google Calendar with your UCSB Connect account.
2. Create a new Google meeting by clicking on an open time in the calendar, or clicking Create.
3. Give the meeting a title (e.g. "Physics 6C Class Meeting"), set the time of the meeting's beginning and ending, and Click the Add Google Meet video conferencing button.
4. Once you Save the meeting, you are able to view and copy the URL created underneath the Join with Google Meet link in your calendar event.
5. Copy the meet.google.com URL that gets created and Share that link with your students in order for them to join the class meeting or office hours.
Step Two: Share the Google Meet URL with your all of your students in GauchoSpace.
1. Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
2. Click Turn editing on.
3. Locate the week/topic where you want the link to appear, click Add an activity or resource and select URL.
4. You MUST enter a name for your URL link in the Name field, then enter the URL in the External URL field.
5. Scroll down and click Save and return to course.
Once you have a Google Meet event created and shared with your students, you can join the meeting from Google Calendar by clicking Join with Google Meet or from GauchoSpace, by clicking on the link.