There are a few options available:
- "Live" transcription (captioning typed by a person attending the meeting)
- Post-meeting captioning using GauchoCast and Panopto's computer-generated captioning
- Post-meeting captioning through a service (Verbit: $0.84/min unless ordered in conjunction with Disabled Student Services- see below).
1. "Roll your own" Live Captioning
It is possible to create live captions for a Zoom session and record them.
Someone in the meeting (TA?) can be designated as the captioner and their keystrokes will be visible and can be captured "live". It would be wise to practice this method to determine if it is adequate for your needs.
2. Auto-generated captions using GauchoCast
You can get free computer generated captioning of a recorded Zoom meeting if you upload the recording to GauchoCast. After uploading:
- Click “Edit” for the video for which you want to get captions
- On the left side of the screen click the “Captions” link
- Click the “Import captions” popup menu
- If the only choice is “Upload or request captions”, the AI caption has not yet been processed, so exit editing and plan to come back an hour or so later.
- If there is a choice “Import automatic captions” available, choose that. You can then either click the green “Apply” button to save the transcript with the video, or you can edit the transcript and then hit Apply to save.
- You can then post the captioned video to your GauchoSpace page.
3. High quality "human-generated" captioning is an add-on paid service either by hiring a person to generate captions "live" in a meeting or by sending the completed recording to Verbit for post-lecture captioning.
When requested in conjunction with Disabled Student Services (DSP) the fees are covered by DSP. Live professional transcriptionists would likely be cost prohibitive but the cost for Verbit is $0.84 per minute.
Here is the current process for courses supported by DSP:
Student starts the process by letting DSP know they need that accommodation. One of the two methods below then follows:
"Live" Transcription Method:
DSP lets the faculty member know, and they contract a transcriptionist.
Faculty member invites the transcriptionist to join the live Zoom sessions, transcriptionist can open a private chat with the student, and type the transcript in there.
The faculty member records the sessions, they upload to GauchoCast, and the videos are sent out to Verbit for captioning of the recording.
Arrangements for captioning from a service can be had by email to firstname.lastname@example.org