Here is a series of articles designed to get you started with Zoom Breakout Rooms.
Step 1- Enable Zoom Breakout Rooms
By default, this setting should be enabled, but it may be wise to double check if you are having problems
Step 3- Pre-assign breakout rooms, allow students to self-select, or use a combination of both approaches. Here are three ways to use breakout rooms for instruction based on feedback from users.
- Allow users to Self-Select Breakout Rooms- Through this method, faculty may upload pre-decided breakout rooms to their GauchoSpace (a google doc/or excel sheet works well). During Zoom meetings, students reference the uploaded document and select the appropriate breakout room.
- Pre-assign breakout rooms through the web portal (UCSB users have various online identities and occasionally various emails (@umail.ucsb.edu, @dept.ucsb.edu and/or @ucsb.edu). This can make assigning breakout rooms with a .csv file problematic as you must have the accurate email address. An alternative method to .csv is using the Web-portal to assign UCSB users to breakout rooms.)
- Create Pre-assigned Breakout Rooms by importing a .csv
- Zoom includes an “Ask for Help" button for attendees in breakout rooms! Try encouraging students to use this button to invite you into their breakout room.
- Have Breakout Room discussions with the same students in each group from week to week. Students have said that this helps them establish friendships and study groups.
still have questions? Contact email@example.com