The Gauchospace Feedback activity provides a method for instructors to collect input from enrolled students. This activity can be configured to gather feedback anonymously. Although this setting ensures student anonymity, it can be problematic for instructors who wish to award credit to students for the completion of the survey. This article will demonstrate how to award a credit to students who have completed the Feedback activity anonymously.
In order to award credit for anonymous Feedback surveys, you will need to link a one-question quiz to the activity. When students answer the quiz question, they will get credit for doing the Feedback activity. You will first need to create your quiz. Using GauchoSpace's "Activity completion" and "Restrict access" settings, you can prevent students from completing the quiz until they have submitted the Feedback.
- On your course's home page, enter your course settings by clicking "Edit settings" in the Administration block.
- Find the "Completion tracking" menu and click to expand it. Set "Enable completion tracking" to "Yes" then save your changes.
- Create your Feedback activity. In the settings, find the "Activity completion" menu. Set "Completion tracking" to "Show activity as complete when conditions are met" and make sure "View as completed if the feedback is submitted" is checked. Save your changes.
- Create a simple quiz with one multiple choice question and no possible incorrect answers. In the example shown below, a simple yes/no question is asked. Students receive 100% credit for either answer.
- In your quiz's settings, find the "Restrict access" menu. Click "Add restriction" and then "Activity completion."
- Here you will set a restriction that requires students complete the Feedback activity before they attempt the quiz. Select your Feedback activity from the list of activities that appears and make sure your restriction is set to "must be marked complete." This uses the activity completion settings you enabled in steps 1-3 to set a condition for accessing the quiz. When you're done, your settings should look like this:
- Next, open the quiz and the copy the URL from your browser window.
- Finally, return to your Feedback activity's "Edit settings" page. Find the "After submission" section and paste the URL for the quiz in the box next to "Link to next activity." You can also provide a completion message such as the one included below.
- After completing the Feedback activity, students will see a screen like the one shown here:
- Once students click on Continue, they will be prompted to start the quiz by clicking on Attempt quiz now.
- An appropriate number of points, as specified in the quiz setup, will be awarded to students and shown in the gradebook.