GauchoSpace Quiz activities are not able to count quiz questions as extra-credit. The following steps provide a workaround for providing an extra-credit/bonus questions to a quiz.
To add extra-credit (bonus) questions to a quiz, you will need to create two quizzes that will be linked together. Follow these steps to add bonus questions to a quiz:
- Firstly, go to the Administration Block, and click Edit Settings. Go to the "Completion Tracking" tab and select "Yes" for "Enable Completion Tracking."
- Create two quizzes - the first will be the main quiz and the second will be an extra-credit quiz (or the quiz containing the extra credit/bonus questions).
- In the settings of the Main Quiz, go to the Activity Completion tab and select the last option from the first menu as shown in the screenshot.
- In the same tab, click check next to "Require Grade","Require Passing Grade" and "Or all available attempts completed."
- Now, uncheck the first checkbox and keep the last two checkboxes checked (see screenshot below). Make sure these exact settings are selected (in the same sequence) as shown below and now click save and return.
- In the settings of your second (extra credit) quiz, find the "Common module settings" tab. Set "Availability" to "Make available but not shown on course page." This will make the extra-credit quiz available to students only using an URL, which we will provide in the first quiz as shown in the next step.
- In the settings for the Extra-credit Quiz, find the "Restrict Access" tab and add a restriction. This restriction is on Activity Completion.
- Make sure to select the Main Quiz as the activity on which Access Restriction is to be applied. See the screenshot below.
- Next, open the Extra Credit Quiz and the copy the URL from your browser window.
- Now you need to provide a link to the Extra-Credit Quiz from the Main Quiz. To do so, you will add a Description type question at the end of the Main Quiz.
- In the description Question, you will provide the link for the Extra-Credit Quiz and provide a clear message (recommended in a different font color so that the message is loud and clear) to click the link to the Extra-credit Quiz after the Submission of the Main Quiz attempt. (see screenshot below).
- Note if you are shuffling questions within the Quiz, make sure that this description question appears at the end. To ensure that it happens so, please create a separate section within the quiz at the end. This section will be set to not shuffle and only contain the Description question. Please refer the "Structuring the Quiz" section on this article to see how to set up separate sections in a quiz.
- Finally, you will make a few changes in the Gradebook. Click on "Gradebook Setup" in the Administration block on the coursepage. Firstly, place both the quizzes (the main quiz and the extra credit quiz) under a category. In the example below, they are both placed under the Gradebook Category "Main Quiz" which houses both the quizzes. (Note: If the quiz has to appear under an already created category, the new category which we just created will be nested under this already created category. Please ensure that this nested category carries the same weight in the overall grade book as the quiz was supposed to carry).
- Now designate the second quiz as an extra credit quiz. To do so, click on "Edit" -> "Edit settings" next to the extra credit quiz.
- Under "Parent category," check the "Extra credit" box, and then click "Save changes."
- When you're done, it will indicate that the quiz is extra credit on the Gradebook setup page: