For large courses with sections, there is an option within GauchoSpace to have course sites created for sections. In this setup, students would have access to a course site for the lecture and a separate nested course site for their section. Instructors would have access to the lecture as well as the separate section sites. Teaching Assistants would have access to their own section sites as well as the lecture site. We can also configure sections to be merged for TAs so that all the sections one TA is responsible are in one site.
Activities and resources posted on the main course site (lecture site) do not get pushed into the section course site, all sites are separate and distinct from one another. Because of this it is important to post course-wide info in the main course site and section-specific info in the corresponding section site. Grade totals from section courses can also be passed back into the main lecture site, if interested please mention this in your request.
If you are interested in using this course organization for your course email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If TAs are interested in having their own area to post materials and have forum discussions with their sections an alternative to using a separate section site is to create a section in the main course site and restrict this section to a particular TA's sections. Sections can be created for each TA and restricted to their section/s. To set up restricted sections follow the steps below.
1. Turn Edition on and scroll to the bottom of the course page click on the + sign in the bottom left.
2. In the newly created section click on the gear icon on the right side and then on "Edit section".
3. In the section settings check the box for "Custom" then input the name for the section such as "Joe's Sections", under the "Restrict access" click on the "Add restriction" button.
4. Select the "Group" button.
5. In the group drop-down select the particular section group you would like to have access to this section. Click on the eye icon to restrict those who are not in the group from being able to view the heading for this section. Note: repeat these steps to add all sections groups for a particular TA.
Then click on "Save changes".
This newly created section will then be only accessible to students in the sections that it has been restricted to and section materials and activities like Forum can be added here.
Instructor view on the GauchoSpace homepage
Student View on their GauchoSpace homepage