The built-in viewer interface in the Assignment Activity gives instructors the ability to read and directly annotate student assignment submissions online (in the same window as the grading interface) without having to download and re-upload the files. A wide range of document types can be accepted (and acceptable submissions can be restricted to those of certain file types; see this Moodle reference video for more details).
To grade student submissions:
- Enter the assignment and click the Grade button.
- This will take you to the assignment grading interface.
- Click the middle button at the bottom right of the screen to view both the assignment viewer and the grading interface in split-screen view.
- The student's submission will be on the left. There will be a row of icons across the top to navigate and make annotations.
- Use the arrows on the top left to navigate from page to page.
- To make annotations, use the icons on the right, including comments, highlighting, various drawing/shapes tools, and stamps.
- To make a comment, click on the Comment icon from the toolbar. Then, click and drag to draw a box in the place you wish to add your comment. Type your comment into the box you have created.
- There are four available stamps:
- If you need to delete a mark, click the Select (Arrow) icon. Then, click the mark. You will have the option to delete it.
- To save and make the annotations available to a student, be sure to click Save changes at the bottom of the screen.
Here is an example of what an annotated document might look like: