Best Practice Scenarios
The Choice activity (poll) allows instructors to quickly assess student opinion about a single topic. The Group Choice activity allows students to enroll themselves in a group within a course on GauchoSpace. The teacher can select which groups students can choose from and the maximum number of students allowed in each group. If you want the students to give more detailed feedback, beyond asking one question, please use the Feedback tool and refer to: Best Practices: Creating a Survey.
The Choice Activity
The following are scenarios in which you may want to use the Choice activity:
- You want students to select from a list of possible readings.
- You want students to indicate the class session in which they will deliver oral presentations, facilitate in-class discussions, or take notes as class historian.
- You want students to sign up for a meeting (office hours, instructor-student conferences, etc.).
- You want to conduct a small, informal poll of student opinions.
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site. Click Turn editing on.
- Select the week/section block in which you would like the activity and click Add an activity or resource. Select Choice and click Add to create your poll.
- Edit the module settings by giving the choice a name (required) and entering a description (optional).
- Below the description, expand the Options tab to insert your Choice answer options. You have the option to allow students to change their choice after submitting, to choose more than one answer, and to limit how many students choose each answer.
- After entering your choice options, there are other settings that may be modified as desired, including:
- Availability: Change the time period when the Choice Activity is available.
- Results: Change the visibility and anonymity of results.
- After completing the options, click Save and return to course.
Viewing and downloading the results of your Choice activity:
- In your course's GauchoSpace site, find and click on your Choice activity.
- In the Choice Administration block on the right hand side, select View Responses.
- From here you can download in ODS, Excel and a text format.
The following is a scenario in which you would use the Group Choice Activity:
- You want students to self-select into in-class groups for a project, in-class presentation, or other assignment.
Adding a Group Choice Activity
Prior to adding the Group Choice activity to your course site, you must first create the groups that students will self-select when they enter the Group Choice activity.
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site. In the upper right corner of your site, click Turn editing on.
- Just below Turn editing on, toggle Advanced Tools to On.
- Select the week/section block in which you would like the activity and click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Group Choice and click Add.
- Give the Group Choice activity a name and description (provide clear instructions on selecting their groups).
- Edit the Miscellaneous Settings to create the results you want for your course and the choice the students will make in the activity.
- Click Save and return to course.