In GauchoSpace, you are able to download all students' file submissions, then return them to students at one time. This is useful for instructors who want to use "track changes" to provide feedback for assignments, or otherwise mark the students' original files to send back to them.
There are a few steps needed for this to work correctly:
- First, make sure you have Feedback files selected in the Feedback types setting for the assignment (this is turned on by default). This can be configured by clicking into the assignment and choosing Edit Settings in the Administration block.
- After the assignments are submitted, download all submissions.
- If you are using a Mac and download using the Archive Utility, it will appear on your computer as a folder instead of a .ZIP archive, and you may begin editing the files to add feedback. If you are using a PC or downloaded the .ZIP archive to your computer without using Archive Utility, extract the .ZIP archive to a folder and then add your feedback to the students' files. Note: When you save the changed file, you must keep the name of the file the same as the downloaded version.
With the recent update, file submissions will now download into separate folders by student, which may be helpful for assignments where instructors have students submit more than one file. However for large classes with many single-file submissions, this may greatly increase the amount of time it takes to leave feedback and grade assignments. If you want all files submitted for an assignment to download into one folder, just follow these steps:
- Navigate to the assignment, and select View all submissions.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, under Options, uncheck the box next to Download submissions in folders.
- At the top of the page under Grading action, choose Download all submissions.
- If the original .ZIP archive that you downloaded still exists in the same directory as the folder containing your feedback files, delete the original .ZIP archive or change its name to avoid a name conflict in the next step.
- Convert all of the students' submissions into a .ZIP file. If you are using a PC, right-click the folder containing the students' files, then hover over Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder. If you are using a Mac, right-click the folder and select the option that says Compress followed by the name of the folder inside quotation marks.
- In the assignment grading interface, select Upload multiple feedback files in a zip from the Grading action drop-down menu.
- Upload the newly zipped folder with the feedback files in it. You should be presented with a confirmation screen displaying your feedback files.