You can configure Apple Mail for viewing your Connect/Google account by following the steps in this configuration guide. These screenshots are for Mail v9, and may differ somewhat for your version of Mail. If you are using Apple Mail v7 or 8, please follow that version specific guide. The guide for v6 can be found here. To verify which version of Apple Mail you have, open Apple Mail and then select About Mail from the Mail menu.
To use Apple Mail, you must first check that IMAP is turned on. To do this:
- On your computer, log into the Google Web App.
- In the top right, click the gear icon ("Settings") and click Settings.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the "IMAP Access" section, select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
1. Open Apple Mail. If you have never opened Mail before, you will see the screen below. If you have already configured another email account, select Preferences from the Mail menu (next to the Apple menu), click on the Accounts tab, and then click on the + (plus) symbol in the lower left corner. Select Other Mail Account...** and click Continue.
**Do NOT select Google. Doing so will not configure the account properly.
2. Type in your Full Name, your Email Address (typically firstname.lastname@example.org) and your UCSBnetID Password. In departments that have chosen to use the department address (<something>@dept.ucsb.edu), you may type that in the Email Address field. Click Sign In.
NOTE: If you have activated 2-factor authentication ("2FA") for your Connect account, you must use the "app password" you created for Apple Mail. For more infomation on 2FA and app passwords, click here.
3. Type your Connect Address (UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu) in the User Name field. Select IMAP for the Account Type, type imap.gmail.com in Incoming Mail Server and smtp.gmail.com in Outgoing Mail Server. Click Sign In.
4. If you do not use Notes, please uncheck and click Done.
5. Use the following configuration settings: select Preferences on the Mail menu, select the Accounts tab, then the Mailbox Behaviors tab, and confirm that Store draft messages on the server, Store sent messages on the server, Store junk messages on the server, Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox, and Store deleted messages on the server are all checked. Confirm that Never is selected under Sent, Junk and Trash.
6. Disable client-side junk email filtering: select the Junk Mail tab, and un-check Enable junk mail filtering. Close the Preferences window.
7. You can now begin using Mail with your Connect/Google Apps account.
REMOVE THE PREVIOUS LSIT ACCOUNT IN APPLE MAIL
This will completely delete an email address and email account from the Mac, including all settings for the email account, and removing all associated emails from the Mail app in Mac OS X.
- Pull down the Apple menu and choose ‘System Preferences’
- Choose “Internet Accounts”
3. Select the email account you want to delete from the Mac from the list
4 .With the email account selected, click the [-] minus button (or hit the Delete key on the keyboard)
5. Confirm that you want to remove the email account AND all of it’s associated emails and account settings from the Mac, including from the Mail application
6. The account will disappear from the list and all associated emails and settings from the email address will also vanish. You can repeat with other email accounts as necessary