Where to find Activity Completion settings:
After the course completion add-on has been turned on, individual activity completion tracking is available in the Edit Settings area for all activities and resources.
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
- Click Turn Editing On.
- To enter the settings for an item, click the gear icon that is in-line with that item.
- You may have to scroll to the bottom of the settings list to find Activity Completion Settings. Expand that section to view the options for completion of that activity or resource.
- You can add completion tracking to anything that you can add to your GauchoSpace course site. After you "turn on" activity completion in an activity or resources' settings, your students will se a checkbox next to the item. Once the completion requirement is met, the box will be checked.
Understanding Activity Completion Settings:
Below is a guide to the Activity Completion settings with some tips on the benefits of each option. Available options for what is required to mark as completed are different for each type of activity or resource. The chart below shows what options will be available and what each means. The way
Completion Tracking: These options are available for all activities and resources and must be set to make other changes in this setting. The details on how the settings below are featured in a given activity or resource can be found in the table above.
- Do not indicate activity completion:
- This is the default after turning on Course Completion for existing and new activities. If this setting is selected, the activity or resource will not be tracked.
- Students can manually mark as complete:
- This activity completion option allows students to decide whether to mark an activity as completed.
- This option can be beneficial in that it provides students with the freedom to determine when this is optimally helpful to them. The downside of this option is that it places the burden and wisdom of this decision on the student. Note: If this option is chosen, any of the automatic completion criteria will be unavailable.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met:
- This activity completion option is a general option under which specific completion criteria for specific assignments become available.
- This option is beneficial in that it automatically indicates completion of a task, relieving the burden from students. The downside to this option is that students will not be able to make a decision about whether they are done with the task. Thus, in some circumstances, the student may feel they are done with a task when the system indicates they are not. When this general option is chosen, the activity completion is marked automatically by the system as the criteria are met. These criteria are listed below.
- Require View:
- Students must view activity to complete. This criterion is the most basic criteria for automated completion. In order for this criterion to be met, a student must click on the provided link and view the associated page.
- Require grade:
- Students must receive grade to complete. In order for this criterion to be met, a student must receive a grade with the associated activity. This setting does not specify the grade needed, however, some activities allow for a specific grade to be achieved (see the "Students must receive a passing grade" condition below for more details)
- Students must submit to complete:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must simply submit her/his work.
- Students must post original or reply:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must either create an original post or add a reply a post to another individual’s post. This completion setting does not allow for an option of length of post or reply.
- Students must post or create entries:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must create an original post. This completion setting does not allow for an option of length of post.
- Students must post replies:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must post a reply to another individual. This completion setting does not allow for an option of length of reply.
- Students must make edits:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must make edits to the wiki. This completion setting does not allow for an option of length of edit. Thus, a student only needs to make a simple edit and the activity will be marked as complete.
- Students must receive passing grade:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must receive a passing grade for the activity to be marked as completed. The minimum needed to pass an activity can be set in the Gradebook Setup by clicking on the Edit link next to the specific activity.
- Note: The passing grade criteria requires a passing grade – this could lead some discrepancy between the system and user needs since the assignment might not be able to be regraded for a higher grade. Thus, if students do not get a passing grade, there is no way to “catch up” in the course.
- Students must complete all available attempts:
- In order for this criterion to be met, a student must complete all of the attempts that are made available. While this could help to promote maximum student effort, it also takes away from a student’s ability to decide when the work is completed