You can easily create multiple-choice quiz questions using Microsoft Word, then import the questions into GauchoSpace, provided the questions are written in a specific format.
The questions must be written following these format guidelines:
- Each question must be on one line.
- Each answer option must start with a single uppercase letter, followed by a period "." or a right parenthesis ")", then a space.
- The "correct answer" line must immediately follow answer options, starting with "ANSWER: " (with a space after the colon) and then giving the letter for the correct answer. The word "ANSWER" and the answer letters (A,B,C etc.) must be capitalized
- An empty line must separate each question.
- The document must contain questions/answers only. No headings are allowed.
Here are two example problems using an appropriate format:
Once you have a document with all of your questions, you need to save it in a format that can be uploaded to GauchoSpace, specifically Unicode UTF-8 format.
In Word, go to File < Save As… and in the Format drop-down, select Plain Text (.txt).
Under other formats, choose Unicode UTF-8.
Once you have the file saved as a UTF-8-formatted .txt file, you are able to import it into the question bank in GauchoSpace by doing the following:
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
- In the Administration block expand the Question bank section and click Import.
- On the quiz question import page, choose Aiken format, then upload your file.
- If you have already added categories to your question bank, you can import your questions into a specific category by expanding the General tab and selecting that category from the Import category drop-down menu.
- Click Import.