- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
- Click Turn editing on.
- Find the activity or resource on your course site. If you wish to restrict access to an existing item in your course, click Edit to access the drop-down menu and select edit settings. If you are adding a new item, click Add an activity or resource, select the item you wish to add, and then click Add.
- After reviewing and/or entering information for the required fields (e.g., name), scroll down the page and click Restrict access to expand the menu for that setting.
- Click Add restriction...
- Click the button for the type of restriction you would like to add, and then edit the settings for that restriction.
- You can add more restrictions as necessary by clicking Add restriction...
- Click Save and return to course.
Activity Completion - If activity completion is enabled for your course, you may prevent access for students who have (or have not) completed another course activity.
Date - Prevent access until (or from) a specified date and time.
Grade - Require students to achieve a specified grade in order to access the item.
Group - Allow only students who belong to a specified group. *Note that groups need to be created in advance in order for you to select a particular group for this restriction. For more about creating groups, see the Create a Group and Groupings page in our Help Center.
When creating activities that will be restricted by group, you will need to toggle the "eye" icon in order to hide the restricted activity from other groups. In the example below, only students in Group B will see the activity on their course site. The instructor will see all of the activities with a helpful note showing who has access, example: "Not available unless: You belong to Group B (hidden otherwise)."
Grouping - Allow only those students who belong to a group in a specified grouping to access the activity or resource.
User profile - Control access to an item based on fields within the student's profile (e.g., first name; last name; email address, etc.).
*Unfortunately, this restriction does not currently apply to a user's role, meaning that you could not use this option to restrict a resource to TAs only. To restrict an item's access to TAs only, you would need to make a "Group" with all TAs as members in the group, and then restrict the item using the group option (above).
Restriction set - Add a set of nested restrictions to apply complex logic (e.g. setting restrictions within restrictions). For example, if you would like to create one assignment that is only available to particular groups of students on certain dates/time, you would use a Restriction set.
In the example below, the assignment will be made available to the group “Section 1” on January 15, 2016 at 10:00am, but will be unavailable to the group “Section 2” until January 16, 2016 at 9:00am.
To set up your restriction set using multiple groups and dates/times:
- Add your first restriction to the set by clicking the Add restriction... button within the gray box.
- Choose Group from the pop-up menu.
- Choose the group you would like to restrict access to from the dropdown menu.
- Click Add restriction... under the group you selected (within the gray box).
- Choose Date from the pop-up menu.
- Choose the date/time you want your first group to gain access to the assignment.
- Add your second restriction set by clicking the Add restriction... button outside of the gray box.
- Choose Restriction set from the pop-up menu.
- Add the restrictions to the set as you did for the previous set, with the second group and respective access date/time for that group.
- Toggle the eye icon inline with “Access restrictions” in order to make the assignment hidden to students until the group they belong to has access.