Note: GauchoCast is the recommended platform for incorporating video materials into your GauchoSpace site. More info can be found here. Also, it is not recommended to directly upload your video to GauchoSpace using the media upload button in the text editor. Direct upload of videos may produce playback issues for students.
Another file sharing alternative is to embed files on GauchoSpace that are stored on an external cloud storage system, such as BOX or Google Drive. You can embed these resources by following one of the following sets of instructions:
Embed a video file in your GauchoSpace
You can embed video files by sharing links to the videos in your Connect Box account:
1. Go to ucsb.box.com
and log in using your UCSBNetID and password.
2. Create a folder by clicking New, then Folder. Enter a name for the folder, then click Create.
3. Enter the new folder you've just created. To upload a video from your computer to your new folder, click Upload, then Files. Select your video from the file picker and click Open and then confirm by clicking Upload.
4. Once your upload completes, click the button next to your file marked Share. Use the drop-down menu to change the sharing option from People in your company to People with the link and click Close.
5. Click the button with three dots next to the Share link for more options. In the menu, under More Actions, select Embed Widget.
6. Enter your preferences for the size of the embedded video and the theme, then click Copy to copy the embed code.
Embed the video in GauchoSpace:
7. Log in to GauchoSpace
, enter your course site and click Turn Editing On
8. To display the video on your course page, Locate the week/topic where you want to embed the video, click on the Add an activity or resource link, and select Label from the list.
9. Click the icon for Show more buttons in the Label text editor, then click the Edit HTML Source button. Paste the embed code you copied earlier and click Save and return to course.
Note: If you do not want the video to appear on your course's main page, you can similarly use the HTML editor in other activities to embed the video in a Lesson, Quiz, etc.
Embed a video from YouTube or Vimeo on your course page
1. First, you will need to get the embed code for your video. On Youtube or Vimeo, find the Share button, click Embed, then copy the Embed HTML code.
2. Log in to GauchoSpace
, enter your course site and click Turn Editing On
3. To display the video on your course page, locate the week/topic where you want to embed the video, click on the Add an activity or resource link and select Label from the list.
3. Click the icon for Show more buttons in the Label text editor, then click the HTML button. Paste the embed code you copied from YouTube or Vimeo and click Save and return to course.
Note: You can similarly use the HTML editor in other activities to embed the video in a Lesson, Quiz, etc.
Embed a PowerPoint presentation on your coursepage
You may want to embed a powerpoint into the coursepage. This allows students to view the lecture materials directly from the coursepage without having to download the file. This is possible through box and Google Slides.
If you do not have additional multimedia in your PPT slides, you can upload the file directly to box and embed the PPT following the same instructions in the "Embed a video in your GauchoSpace course using Connect Box" sections. Click here to jump to that section: Jump to "Embed a video in your GauchoSpace course using Connect Box"
Google slides allows you to make live edits to the powerpoint without having to delete and re-upload your presentation. In addition, you can insert multimedia into Google Slides that will continue to play directly from the slide once you embed it onto you GS course page. At this time, playing multimedia from embedded PPT files from box in not possible, so Google Slides is the ideal platform for multimedia in slides.
Follow the steps below for embedding Google Slides:
1. Upload slides (without video, the video will just show up as images and will be too large for Google Slides to convert), then convert to Google Slides.
2. If you have audio clips or video clips you would like to insert, then upload the files into your Google Drive. You will want to have a separate file for each slide you plan on inserting audio or video into. Insert media from your Drive by clicking "Insert" then Video or Audio.
*If you do not have multimedia, skip to Step 5
3. Insert media from your Google Drive (Youtube or URL are options too).
4. Click on a file, then click Select on the bottom
5. To get the embed code click File, then "Publish to the Web" for options.
6. Click Embed then click Publish
7. Copy the embed code
8. Go to your GauchoSpace page. Turn Editing On then click Add a New Activity or Resource. Select Label.
9. In the Label text editor, click the upper left button to expand the menu. Then Click the <> button and past the embed code.
End result is that the video in each slide will play on GS and students can advance through each slide.