A spreadsheet containing grades may be uploaded to the gradebook if offline grading is preferred. It is recommended to first export a blank spreadsheet from the gradebook to enter grades into, then upload back to the gradebook after grades have been entered.
You should also have at least the perm number, preferably in the first column of your CSV file, for each student in order to import. You should not have commas appearing in any fields in your spreadsheet; when you convert it to CSV it will read these commas as field separators and not import correctly.
Please see the example below for what a CSV sheet should look like to be ready to import into GauchoSpace.
NOTE: GauchoSpace only allows for grades to be imported via CSV (Comma Separated Value) file. If you have an Excel spreadsheet, please save it as a CSV file first.
1. Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
2. In the Administration Block, click Grades.
3. Click Import.
4. On the next screen, make sure the default tab, Verbose Import, is selected. Click Choose a file and locate the CSV file on your computer that you want to upload. Or, drag and drop the CSV file into the drop region. Click Upload grades.
Drag and drop:
5. On this screen, you can map your spreadsheet information to the GauchoSpace gradebook. Under Identify user by choose Map From: perm number and Map To: perm number.
6. In the Grade Item Mappings section, the columns in your CSV file are on the left. The grade items already in your gradebook are in the drop down menus. Match the appropriate grades from your CSV file on the left with the grade items in the drop down menu. Or, you can select New grade item and an entry will be created in the gradebook. For grade items you don't want to import (update) you can leave those as Ignore.
7. Click Upload grades.
8. You should see an Import File Summary note in green showing you how many grades are being updated.
9. Click Update and you should be shown a note that your import was a success. Click Continue to return to your gradebook.
Common Special Circumstances
1. If a student is part of the CSV file to be uploaded, but they have no data for the selected grade to be imported, GauchoSpace will display the number of students whose grades will not be updated. More information is available from the Show Detail button.
2. If a student is missing from the CSV file, GauchoSpace will still import data for all of the other students present. The number of "Scores that will update" will show the count of students that will receive changes. If this number is different from the number of students in the class, it may be that a student is missing from the CSV.
3. If there is information for a student in the CSV file that is not in GauchoSpace (such as a student dropped, but they are still in the CSV file), GauchoSpace will skip them when importing. Again, the number of "Scores that will update" will show the count of students that will receive changes. If this number is different from what is expected, please confirm the CSV roster with the GauchoSpace roster.