Occasionally, Instructors may wish to add a user to a GauchoSpace site that is no longer available to students. Here are a few common examples:
- Allow a former student to view course materials
- Grant viewing access to a colleague who might teach the same or similar course in the future
- Test how students will interact with activities before a course is made available for the current quarter
In all of these cases, it is recommended that you use the Test Student role for this purpose.
Users in the Test Student role may view the course and course materials even if the course is unavailable to all students. If the user is added to a course in the Student role, they will not be able to view any course materials (or the course itself) that are hidden from students.
How to add a Test Student
- To add a new user to your old or unavailable GauchoSpace site, follow the directions on this this Help Center article about adding a UCSB user to your course site. Be sure to select the "Test Student" role.
- To add the Test Student role to an existing user in your GauchoSpace site, follow the directions in the "Assign a Role" section of this Help Center article about participant roles. Be sure to assign the "Test Student" role.
- To create a Student account using a non-UCSB email address, follow the directions on this Help Center article about adding a non-UCSB user. You will then need to assign the student the "Test Student" role. This option is frequently used by Instructors and Editing TAs who want to see a student view of the course site before making it available to students.