Best Practice Scenarios
The Question Bank allows instructors to create, preview, and edit a database of quiz questions. The following includes best practice scenarios for using the quiz Question Bank in GauchoSpace. See the Quiz Reference Guide for details on quiz settings and see the Quiz Question Bank for Question Bank basics.
Scenario 1: Creating New Questions
You can create and add new questions to the Question Bank. It is recommended that you add your questions directly to the Question Bank, rather than into a Quiz after you create the module.
It is a good practice to create the category before creating your quiz. Your GauchoSpace course site will have a Default category. It is recommended you do not use the default category. Instead, make your own question categories and sub categories. This is better than keeping all your questions in one big list in the quiz module.
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
- Go to the Question Bank in the Administration block. Click on the Category link.
- To add a new category, scroll to the bottom of the page until you see "Add Category".
- As you create your category, you can choose a "Parent" folder. Placing your category in another category makes it a sub-category of the parent.
- After you create your category, click on the Questions link in the Administration block.
- Select the quiz category you would like to add to from the drop-down menu under "Select a category".
- Click "Create a new question" and choose a question type to add.
- Create your question and keep the following in mind:
- Insert the question answer in the question name. This allows you to quickly see the answers when students are asking for answers. This is especially useful if you're dealing with large sets of questions.
- Format your question title for sorting and making notes. Questions will sort themselves in alphabetical order. Where you want questions in a category to appear in a specific order, use letters or numbers.
- Copy from a PDF or simple text editor if you are copy and pasting your questions into the quiz. This reduces hidden code and formatting which Word, Open Office and other programs can insert.
- Save your changes at the bottom of the page.
Scenario 2: Importing and Exporting Questions
You can export questions from one GauchoSpace site to be imported into another. It is preferable to export and reimport rather than duplicating and moving things between course sites, because the latter can break the link between the original locations of the questions and their new designations. You will need to first export questions from the Question Bank you are interested in utilizing, then you can import those questions into your new site.
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site you would like to export questions from.
- Go to the Question Bank in the Administration block. Click on the Export link.
- Choose Moodle XML format and select the category you would like to copy from the "Export category” drop-down menu.
- Click the “Export questions to file” button.
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Enter your course site you would like to import questions into.
- Go to the Question Bank in the Administration block. Click on the Import link.
- Choose Moodle XML format, and make sure the “Default” course level category is chosen for the “Import category” drop-down menu.
- Click Choose file… to open the File picker window.
- In the File picker window, click Choose File to browse and select your exported Moodle questions file, then click Upload this file.
- Click Import, and you will see a preview of the imported questions.
- Click Continue to proceed to the category containing the imported questions.
NOTES: At this point, you have only copied the quiz questions, and must still create a new quiz and load in the copied questions.
Moodle XML format is the recommended import question type format as it enables the maximum amount of question data (such as question feedback) to be imported.
Scenario 3: Adding Questions from the Quiz Bank to a Quiz
After you add questions into your Question Bank, you are ready to add them into your quizzes. You can add questions to quizzes individually in bulk or randomly.
- Log in to GauchoSpace and enter your course site.
- Create your new quiz by clicking Turn editing on on the main page of your site.
- Click the Add an activity or resource link in any section where you would like the link to your quiz to be displayed.
- In the Add an activity or resource window, choose Quiz and click on the Add button.
- Give your quiz a Name, Open and Close Dates, and set any other desired configurations.
- Click on the Save and display button at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the Edit quiz button.
- Click Add. You should see three options. "A new question," "from question bank," and "a random question."
To add from the question bank, select either "from question bank" or "a random question."
- From question bank: This will add questions individually in bulk. By adding questions individually you are selecting a specific question that you want to be asked in the quiz.
- Select the category from which you would like to choose a question(s) and choose the question(s) to add by clicking the Select box next to them.
- When you have chosen all questions from that category click the Add to quiz button.
- A random question: This will add questions randomly, drawing from your specified categories. By adding questions randomly you can select a specific number of questions from a category that you would like to be pulled and added to a quiz. This will ensure that every student receives a varied list of questions but by creating multiple questions that reference each course topic you can ensure that they are being tested on everything that has been covered.
- Select the category from which you would like to randomly pull questions and choose the number of questions to randomly add to the quiz.
- Click the Add to quiz button.